Are you looking to fix high ping in Secret World Legends? You came to the right place!
High ping can be a major issue when it comes to online gaming. With Secret World Legends relying on quick reactions and fast synchronization with the game servers, even small differences in latency can have huge impacts on the gameplay.
If your ping is high, it means that the data takes too long to reach the Secret World Legends game server, which can lead to laggy and unresponsive gameplay.
Why is my ping on Secret World Legends so high?
If you’re playing Secret World Legends and experiencing high ping, it’s probably because of a weak internet connection or an issue in your network. There are several reasons why this could be the case, including old network drivers, servers that are far away, incorrect network settings, poor wireless coverage, free VPNs, or heavy internet usage from background apps.
How do I fix high ping in Secret World Legends?
Before following the steps below, make sure to do the following:
- Restart your modem.
- Disconnect any other devices from the network(phones, TVs, laptops, smart devices, etc.)
Below, you can find step-by-step how to reduce ping and latency in Secret World Legends.
Step 1 – Update Network Drivers
Outdated or corrupted network drivers can cause latency issues, instability in your ping, and ruin your Secret World Legends experience.
- Navigate to your search bar and type “Device Manager“, and click on it.
- Look for Network Adapters, and once you find it, click on the bottom arrow to collapse the list. Your ethernet adapter should look like the one in the photo below.
Before you download anything, you need to find your network adapter model. If it’s not available through the Device Manager in Windows, then do the following:
- Navigate to the Windows search bar and type “Control Panel“.
- Then click on -> Network and Internet, and choose -> Network and Sharing Center.
- You should see the option -> Change adapter settings on the left side.
- Click on it, and now you can see all your network adapters.
- Under the adapter name, you can see the adapter’s model, ex—Realtek, Intel, Killer, etc.
Visit the official website of your network card manufacturer, download the latest version of the driver for your specific model, and install it.
If you don’t know how to do that, follow this guide on updating network drivers.
Step 2 – Optimize Network Settings
Network settings play an important role in ensuring a stable ping and a smooth online gaming experience.
- Go to “Device Manager“, look for your network adapter, right-click on it, and choose Properties.
If you want more advanced network optimizations, I recommend following my guide on optimizing network settings and reducing ping. But, the settings below should be enough for potentially reducing your ping in Secret World Legends.
- Navigate to the “Power Management” tab and uncheck the option: “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab, and disable any power-saving feature like:
- Energy-Efficient Ethernet
- Green Ethernet
- Power saving mode
Do the same thing for both your wired connection adapter as well as your wireless connection adapter just in case you switch between them.
Step 3 – Use an Ethernet Cable
Another way to stabilize ping and ensure a good internet connection is to use an Ethernet cable. A wired connection will allow you to establish a direct connection with your router, eliminating any potential wireless interference that could be affecting your ping in Secret World Legends.
Step 4 – Change Windows Update delivery settings
Windows updates are essential for the security and performance of your computer, but if you’re experiencing unstable ping in Secret World Legends, they may be to blame. Windows updates can cause high ping in Secret World Legends due to the high usage of your internet bandwidth.
- Navigate to your search bar and type”Windows Update Delivery” and click on Windows Update delivery settings.
- Disable the option ”Allow downloads from other PCs”, navigate down, and click on the advanced options tab.
- Switch from Absolute Bandwith to Percentage of measured bandwidth, limiting both percentages bars to 5%.
- Scroll down to upload settings and limit the first option to 5%.
By applying the above setting, you ensure that Windows will not use more than 5% of your total bandwidth while you are playing Secret World Legends.
Step 5 – Reset network Settings
Resetting your network settings is another way to lower ping and unthrottling your internet speed. This will clear the cache of all old address records and Secret World Legends’s game servers you have ever connected, forcing your computer to fetch new ones from a DNS server, potentially reducing latency.
- Click on the Windows icon and type Command Prompt.
- Right-click Command Prompt from the search results and choose the Run as administrator option.
- Type each command individually, and press Enter
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh Winsock reset
Step 6 – Update BIOS
I always recommend running on the latest BIOS version since manufacturers provide frequent updates to address issues and fix stability problems or even enhance performance in some cases. So definitely, one of the things we want to do here is to make sure that an outdated BIOS does not cause ping issues in Secret World Legends.
Here is a small guide on how to update your BIOS.
PLEASE DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR PC OR TAKE OUT THE POWER CABLE WHILE UPDATING YOUR BIOS.
Once the process is done, it will most likely take you back to BIOS. Now it’s time to optimize your BIOS settings.
Step 7 – Use a dedicated IP Address.
Using a dedicated IP address can also help reduce high ping in Secret World Legends in some cases. A dedicated IP address will ensure that your internet connection doesn’t get mixed up with other players, which can lead to higher latency and instability.
I recommend using NordVPN because they have dedicated IP addresses which means that you will be the only person connecting to Secret World Legends from them.
What are the benefits?
- You are the only one using the specific server.
- Lower and more stable ping.
- Higher quality connection and no packet loss.
- Better security.
- The IP was not previously flagged, banned, or blacklisted by Secret World Legends like most of the public VPN servers.
- You won’t be blocked by game servers, including Secret World Legends.
Step 8 – Call your Internet Service Provider
If you have tried all the solutions discussed in this guide to fix high ping issues but nothing seems to work, then it’s time to contact your Internet Service Provider. They can assist you in identifying any potential hardware problems that may be causing the ping instability and suggest solutions to improve your internet speed.