Is your Dell G15 running sluggish, or did you download something you shouldn’t out there, and it won’t even boot up normally? Well, no worries. Resetting your Dell G15 laptop will reset it to its factory state, deleting any files, software, and settings saved or installed since you purchased the laptop. The good news is that this process can be done in just a few steps.
In this post, I will show you how to factory reset Dell G15 so it’s like new again.
Factory Reset Dell G15 laptop
Over time, the countless Windows updates and the apps running in the background can cause a decline in the performance of your Dell G15. This slowdown can be an annoying disruption to your daily workflow.
Fortunately, Windows 10/11 provides options to reset your laptop to its factory settings, restore its original speed and responsiveness, and permanently remove any software or viruses.
Let’s kickstart the journey to bringing back your laptop’s past greatness!
Step 1 – Backup your Files (Optional)
Before resetting Dell G15, you will have to decide whether you will back up your files, settings, configuration files, etc. Keep in mind that if you don’t create a backup, you will lose all settings from the software/games that you use, as well as personal files.
I highly recommend that apart from backing up your personal files, you also create a clone of the current system in a USB drive or an external disk, just in case something goes wrong in the process so you can revert back.
Either way, a quick and efficient way to back up everything in a few clicks is to use the free trial from EaseUS Todo Backup. Below you can find step-by-step instructions on how to backup your files before factory resetting Dell G15:
- Download EaseUS Todo Backup and install it on your Dell G15.
- Open the software and click on the “Create Backup” button.
- Next, choose “Select backup contents“.
- Now you can either choose to backup everything, or specific folders containing your personal files.
- Once you’ve selected the files you want to backup, select the external drive to save the backup.
- Finally, click the “Backup Now” button on the bottom right side, sit back, and wait for the process to finish.
Let’s get to factory resetting the Dell G15.
Step 2 – Start the Factory Reset
To factory reset your Dell G15, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the start menu and choose “Settings“.
2. Find “Update & Security“, click on it, and choose “Recovery” on the left sidebar.
3. Under the option to “Reset this PC“, click on “Get started“.
4. You will be prompted to choose between “Keep My Files” and “Remove Everything“.
If you select “Keep My Files”, your personal files will be kept, but all settings and applications installed on the device will be removed.
On the other hand, if you select “Remove Everything“, everything from the device will be erased, including your files.
If you followed the first step of this guide and created a backup, then choose “Remove Everything“.
5. Once you’ve decided, confirm the option, and on the following prompt, choose “Local reinstall” or “Cloud Install“. (Local installation will be faster)
6. After you choose the reset method and you are at the Additional Settings tab, click on the “Change settings” button, and then slide the switch under “Restore preinstalled apps” to turn it off and press “Confirm“. That will ensure that Windows will clean your hard drive after deleting all your files so no one can recover them in the future.
7. Click “Next“, and then “Reset“.
8. Sit back and wait.
Once the reset process is done, your Dell G15 will be like a new one. You will have to set up the Windows settings from scratch, and you are good to go.
Step 3 – Restore the Backup and files
If you made a backup on the first step, now it’s time to recover it and get your files back.
Let’s get straight on how to recover your files on the Dell G15 quickly:
- Download EaseUS Todo Backup and install it on your Dell G15.
- Open the software and click on the “Recover” button.
- Choose the drive and click “Next“.
- Wait for the recovery process to finish, and you are good to go!
All your files should be restored!
Things to do after factory resetting Dell G15.
Now that you reset Windows, it’s time to do some basic stuff to make sure it’s performing at its best and install your everyday software.
1. Do all “Windows Updates“.
2. Install the latest GPU driver for your Dell G15. You can either manually download it and install it, or use software like DriverBooster to do it for you.
3. Install Directx runtime libraries to ensure the apps and games you use won’t bring up errors and crashes. (This can be done with DriverBooster as well)
4. Install 7zip to help you extract files.
5. Install a media player like VLC, which is compatible with almost any possible video/audio format.
6. Install the browser that you use.
7. If you take security seriously, make sure to install an anti-malware software like Malwarebytes.
8. Install a text editor like NotePad++, which will make your life much easier, especially if you work with huge files.
9. Install any software/apps/games on your PC.
10. If you use a VPN, you can try NordVPN.
11. I highly recommend you follow my guide on optimizing Windows. It’s time-consuming but totally worth it.
Once you’ve done everything and your Dell G15 is in the perfect state with all the software that you use installed, here is what I recommend you do.
I highly recommend running EaseUS Todo Backup and creating a clone of your current system on an external drive.
That way, if you ever want to reset your Dell G15, you can format the system by using the external drive. You will instantly have a clean and fully functional Windows environment with everything preconfigured as you like.
That way, you don’t have to install all the software again and do everything from scratch.
F.A.Q: Factory Reset Dell G15 laptop
Will a factory reset really delete everything from my Dell G15?
During a factory reset of your Dell G15 laptop, its hard drive will be completely wiped, and any existing business, financial, or personal files will no longer be available. It is not possible to interrupt this process once it has begun so make sure to back up any important files.
Can a factory reset damage my Dell G15?
No. A factory reset does not damage a Dell G15 laptop in any way.
I hope this helped you with resetting Dell G15.