Many people encounter the error FiveM could not load citizengame.dll after installing and trying to run FiveM on their computers. Many different factors can cause this particular error, and sometimes it’s frustrating because many people can’t get FiveM to work, and they give up on their favorite game.
Today I will show you how to get rid of the FiveM could not load citizengame.dll error with a simple and easy step by step guide. So, without further to say, let’s start!
Step #1: Clear FiveM cache
Clearing the FiveM cache will sometimes directly fix the error. If it doesn’t, don’t worry. Just proceed to the next steps. Below I will show you how to clear FiveM cache step by step.
- Right-click on your FiveM shortcut and click Open file location
- Enter the FiveM Application Data folder
- Look for the Cache folder and double click on it
- Delete everything except the game folder
Below you can find pictures with every step listed above to make it easier for you to delete the FiveM cache completely.
Step #2: Completely Uninstall FiveM
We want to uninstall every single file related to the FiveM installation, below you can find how to uninstall Fivem:
- In your search bar, type “Add or remove programs” and click on the option.
- Then type FiveM, click on it, and choose to uninstall.
- You will get a message asking if you are sure you want to remove FiveM from your computer. Choose yes.
Step #3: Verify the integrity of your GTA V files
Depending on which game launcher you are using to play GTA V, it’s slightly different to verify the files’ integrity. Below you can find step by step instructions on how to do it in every game launcher GTA V is available.
How to verify integrity of game files on Steam?
- Restart your pc and start Steam
- Navigate to the GTA V library page, select Manage -> Properties
- Go to the Local Files tab and click Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait since this process can take up to several minutes.
How do I verify game files in the Epic Games Launcher?
- Navigate to your library and look for GTA V and click on the three dots.
- Once the tab opens, click Verify.
- Wait until the process ends.
How to verify game files in the Rockstar Games Launcher?
- Open your Rockstar Games Launcher and navigate to settings.
- On the left side under My installed Games, click on Grand Theft Auto V
- Look for a button named VERIFY INTEGRITY and click on it.
- Wait for the process to end.
Now that you have verified your files’ integrity, we can move on to the next step.
Step #4: Install Visual C++ redistributable for visual studio 2015
Visual C++ redistributable for visual studio 2015 is needed for FiveM to run on any computer properly. There is a chance it is not installed on your computer, or the installation is corrupted.
You need to download and install Visual C++ redistributable for visual studio 2015 on your computer from Microsofts official website.
Step #5: Disable your Antivirus or Add exceptions
Some of FiveM client files will be marked as malicious from many antiviruses, and they will often delete files automatically to protect you.
Disable your antivirus or add the FiveM client files in your antivirus expectations, so they do not get removed or blocked in the next step, where we will reinstall it.
Step #6: Download and Install FiveM
This is the final step where you will have to download and install a fresh copy of the FiveM client. Below you can find instructions on how to install FiveM on your computer.
- Visit the FiveM website and download the client.
- Once downloaded, right-click on the .exe file and choose Open.
- After some time, you will be asked to choose your Grand Theft Auto V installation location. Make sure to choose the correct one. It will most likely be in -> Program Files/RockstarGames/Grand Theft Auto V/
- Click on the Select folder button.
- You will be asked for your permission for FiveM to update the game cache, choose yes.
- It will take some time, depending on your internet connection, to download the required files. Just wait.
If after following this guide you still can’t solve your issues, you can book a PC Optimization appointment with me and I will be more than happy to help you out and solve all your problems.
Using a VPN?
If you absolutely need to use a VPN for whatever reason, then make sure they have a lot of servers across the world, as well as their servers, are the fastest with the lowest ping possible. If you are looking for the best gaming and general use VPN without spending too much money, then you should grab 30 days FREE subscription on NordVPN.
Guides to Optimize your PC
Below you can find some posts from me that will help you optimize your PC even more and possibly increase your FPS.
- Best NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Best AMD Radeon Settings
- Debloat Windows 10
- Reduce & Stabilize your Ping
- Unpark your CPU cores
- Create a custom Power plan to unlock performance
After following this step by step guide, I am pretty sure you will be able to fix the FiveM could not load citizengame.dll error you are getting. You’ve also learned how to install, uninstall FiveM, and also clear the cache of FiveM. I really hope I helped you out with this post. If you face any difficulties, you can always contact me through email or leave a comment down below here, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
See How I Can Improve Your Gaming Experience
- Performance – unlock the true potential of your PC. See your FPS go through the roof!
- Input Delay / Lag / Latency – make your game super responsive to your inputs.
- Tuning – from basic Windows settings to advanced BIOS tuning.