This guide will help you out changing your Path of Exile(POE) settings to achieve the best performance and boost your fps, fix fps drops, optimize your UI, and last but not least, optimize your config file and startup options. If you are new to POE, this guide will help you out tremendously, and if you are a veteran player, then stick with me because you may learn few things to enhance your experience while playing the game.
While Path of Exile is not one of the most demanding games, there are situations that you may experience drops on your performance due to the high number of mobs available. That’s normal especially if your settings are all on default. Don’t worry though, below you’ll find the best settings for every settings tab available on Path of Exile.
Best POE(Path of Exile) Graphics settings
This is a cruacial part of the settings in terms of performance and fps. Few of these settings really depend on your hardware, but i will do my best to give you suggestions and tips on how to choose the optimal graphics settings for POE.
- Display: Choose your main GPU.
- Mode: Fullscreen if you don’t need to alt-tab frequently.
- Resolution: Your monitor’s native resolution.
- Rendered: Test in a crowded area and see which one gives you better and more consistent fps.
- Vsync: Always off since it adds input lag to your game.
- Foreground FPS Cap: Don’t cap this.
- Background FPS Cap: 60
- Antialiasing Quality: Off
- Lighting: Shadows
- Shadow Quality: Low
- Sun Shadow Quality: Low-Medium
- Number of Lights: Low
- Bloom: Normal
- Incursion Effect: Disabled
- Water Detail Level: Low
- Texture Quality: Medium-High depending on your hardware.
- Texture Filtering: 2x Anisotropic Filtering
- This part really depends on your hardware. If you got a low-end pc, then try the settings below. If not, then you can disable the dynamic resolution and keep Multithreading enabled.
- Dynamic Culling: Enabled
- Dynamic Resolution: Enabled
- Target FrameRate: 60
- Engine Multithreading: Enabled
Best POE(Path of Exile) Sound settings
There have been many issues with the sound of POE, especially when it comes to stuttering and fps drops. If you have good hardware and are experiencing dramatic fps dops that make your game unplayable, it might be because of the sounds. I know it doesn’t sound real but think about it. All these monsters walking, hitting effects, sounds combined. I got two solutions for that but first, let’s optimize our POE sound settings.
- Device: Choose your Speakers, Headphones, Monitor, or whatever you are using to output sound.
- Channel Count: Medium. If you are on a really low-end pc try setting it to Low.
- Master Volume: 100
- Sound Effects Volume: 0
- Music Volume: 0
- Ambient Sound Volume: 0
- Dialogue Volume: 50
- Chat Alerts Volume: 0
As I said above, if you are experiencing crazy fps drops and stuttering for no actual reason, it might be the in-game sounds. Below you can find a quick fix for that:
- Go to your Sound settings -> Device Properties -> Additional Device Properties.
- Click on the Enhancements tab, Tick Disable all enhancements, and press apply.
- Then go to the Advanced tab and change the Default Format, and set it to 16 bit 32000hz or 16 bit 44000hz
- Now you should have the same sound quality, but the fps drops and stuttering should be gone.
Best POE(Path of Exile) User Interface(UI) settings
Below you’ll find a good setup for your User Interface on Path of Exile, which will provide you with a lot of useful information while playing and show you crucial stats of your character that will help you survive and get better at the game. These settings are based not only on my experience but also on players’ opinions with thousands of hours of gameplay on POE, who surely knew a lot more than me when it comes to playing the game.
- Language: Choose the language you prefer.
- Chat Language: Same as language.
- Networking Mode: Read below
- If you have a consistent low ping in Path of Exile, then set this to Lockstep. If your ping goes up and down, then set it to Auto.
- Screen Shake: Disabled
- Enable Quest Tracking: Enabled
- Show Corner Map: Enabled
- Auto-Center Map: Enabled
- Landscape Transparency: Personal preference
- Map Transparency: Personal preference
- Map Zoom: Personal preference
- Always Highlight: If you don’t like this option, then you can set a keybind to do the same thing.
- Always show sockets: Enabled
- Key pickup: Use highlight key.
- Show Full Descriptions: Enabled
- Show Life/Mana Levels: Enabled
- Show Flask Buffs: Disabled
- Show Aura Icons: Disabled
- Corpse Targeting: When Key Held
- Show Global Chat: Personal Preference
- Show Trade Chat: Personal Preference
- Show Guild Chat: Personal Preference
- Show Timestamps in Chat: Enabled
- Show Mini Life Bars on Allies: Depends
- Show Mini Life Bars on Enemies: Enable
- Show Mini Life Bars Above you: Enable
- Show Ally Names on Your Map: Enable
- Show Clock: Enable
- Output Dialogue to Chat: Enable
- Advanced Mod Descriptions: Enable
- Auto-Equip: Disable
- Mousewheel Zoom: Enable
- Confine Mouse To Window: Disable
- Support Gem Utility Popup: Disable
- Default Loot Allocation: Short Allocation
- Level DownScaling: Enabled
Best POE(Path of Exile) Config settings
Here you’ll find two suggestions to optimize your POE Config file. One is about increasing your FPS and the other one is about the stuttering because of the sound effects in-game that we spoke above previously.
To find the config file navigate to Documents -> Path of Exile and look for the production_Config file. Right-click and Edit.
Press CTRL + F on your keyboard, and type shadow in the search box. Look for the value shadow_type= , once you find it change the value to -> shadow_type=no_shadows. Keep in mind that this will boost your FPS, but there will be no shadows in-game.
Now, look for the SOUND settings in the config file, and replace the zeros with false on the settings you want to disable.
Once you’ve completed the edits, save the file, and make sure to mark it as Read Only.(Watch the photo below)
Guides to Optimize your PC
Below you can find some posts from me that will help you optimize your PC even more and possibly increase your FPS.
- Windows 11 Ultimate Optimization Guide
- Best NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Best AMD Radeon Settings
- Debloat Windows 10
- Reduce & Stabilize your Ping
- Unpark your CPU cores
- Create a custom Power plan to unlock performance
Last but not least
Go ahead and download Malwarebytes. By using my link you can get a 14-day premium trial as well as 25% off if you decide to continue using the premium version. If you want to be totally safe on the internet and can afford it, get the premium version and you’ll never have to worry again about viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc.
Install Malwarebytes and then open it. Click on Scanner -> Advanced Scanners ->Configure Scan, and select the option scan for rootkits and also, on the right side, select all your drives and click on Scan. This scan may take a lot of time, but it can save you from serious issues especially if you use your computer for transactions, work, etc.
Once the scan is completed, quarantine everything and restart your PC.
If after following this guide you still can’t optimize POE or you feel like your PC is underperforming, you can book a PC Optimization appointment with me and I will be more than happy to help you out and solve all your problems and dramatically improve your pc performance.
Using a VPN?
If you absolutely need to use a VPN for whatever reason, then make sure they have a lot of servers across the world, as well as their servers, are the fastest with the lowest ping possible. If you are looking for the best gaming and general use VPN without spending too much money, then you should take a look at NordVPN and get 3 Months completely FREE!
These were the best settings for POE that should give you a good starting point to enjoy the game. Many of these settings really depend on your hardware and playstyle, so do a little bit of testing and tweaking, and I am 100% sure that you will get to the point where you have the optimal settings exactly for you. Let me know in the comments below how does Path of Exile runs on your computer and if this guide helped you fix any stuttering, fps drops, lag issues you had.