Final Fantasy XIV is a well know MMORPG that has been around for a long time. Thousands of people are playing the game daily, and a lot of them are struggling with either their fps, camera, controller, or gameplay settings. The truth is that you need a lot of time to try and test every single setting and combination to come up with the perfect settings depending on your machine and play style.
No worries though, that’s exactly what this post is all about. Below you’ll find the best settings for Final Fantasy XIV, aka FFXIV, to increase your FPS, have better camera controls, and optimize your game overall. I will cover the FFXIV graphics, sound, camera, controller, UI, and every other little setting available to give you the optimal starting point and explain to you few things about the most important settings so you can go ahead and tweak them by yourself depending on your needs and playstyle.
Optimizing the Launcher of FFXIV
Before we even get into the actual in-game settings, let’s check an essential setting on FFXIV’s launcher. Navigate to the launcher and click on the gear icon on the top right side.
If your computer supports DX11, then go ahead and turn it on. The majority of the computers from at least the last ten years or so will support it. If you are not sure if your pc supports DX11, then do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type -> dxdiag and hit Enter.
- Navigate on the Display tab.
- On the right part of the screen, there is a drivers tab. Check the Feature Levels.
- If you see 11_0, then your pc supports DirectX 11, and you can go ahead and enable it on your FFXIV launcher.
By enabling DX11, your game will run smoothly, and the quality of the graphics will be much better. You can even test enabling it without even checking. If it’s not supported, then the game will not start, and you can go back and disable it.
Best Final Fantasy XIV Settings
Let’s get to the actual settings part. I will go in-depth in every FFXIV settings tab from the top to the bottom.
Best FFXIV display settings
- Main Display: Choose your main GPU
- Screen Mode: Full Screen
- Resolution: Match with your monitor’s native resolution
- High Resolution UI settings: 100% (HD) – Standard
- Default UI Size: 100%
- Character Lighting: Personal Preference
- Frame Rate: If you are experiencing big FPS drops, cap your FPS at your monitor’s refresh rate. If your game is smooth and running without issues, then you can disable the FPS limit and let it go as high as possible.
- Check the option Limit frame rate when the client is inactive.
Best FFXIV sound settings
- Play sounds when window is not active: Enable only System Sounds
- When you click off of Final Fantasy, minimize it, or alt-tab, you can still hear the game. Below that, you can choose which sounds you want to hear when you do this.
- Play Music when mounted: Personal Preference
- All mounts play music when you mount them. If you don’t like that, then disable this setting.
- Enable normal battle music: Personal Preference
- Like mounted music, but instead of playing when you mount, it plays music when you fight something.
- Enable City state BGM in residential areas: Personal Preference
- Most major cities in FFXIV have residential areas that you can access. When you are in any of these residential areas, a specific song will play. If you don’t like that, check this box, and you’ll listen to the themed music instead.
- Play system sounds while waiting for Duty Finder: Enable
- You’ll hear a continuous sound right after the duty finder sound. You can keep this enabled just in case you miss the initial sound.
- Listening Position
- Zoom out your camera to the maximum and start attacking something. Suppose you want the sounds to sound like they are coming from far away from the move, the slider to the left. If you want the sounds to sound like you are next to your character, then move the slider to the right.
- Volume settings
- Master Volume: 80
- Affects all sounds coming from the game.
- Master Volume: 80
- BGM: 70
- Background music.
- Sound Effects: 45
- Any non-vocal sound made by characters and enemies.
- Voice: 75
- Battle voices and dialogues.
- System Sounds: 65
- Sounds like opening the menu, pressing a button, duty finder sound.
- Ambient Sounds: 80
- Sounds made by the environment.
- Performance: 50
- Sounds from classes that can play music.
- Player Effects Volume
- Self: 100
- Party: 100
- Other PCs: 100
- Equalizer: Standard
Best FFXIV Graphic settings
- Enable wet surface effects: Enabled
- It doesn’t hurt performance a lot and makes things look beautiful when raining.
- Disable rendering of objects when not visible: Enabled
- The game saves resources on objects you can’t see.
- Use low-detail models on distant objects: Enable on low-end pc.
- Real-time Reflections: Off
- You won’t even notice it’s off, and it helps with your fps.
- Edge Smoothing(Anti-Aliasing): Depends on your hardware.
- If your pc can handle it, turn it on. If not, then turn it off.
- Transparent Lighting Quality: Experiment since it really depends on your hardware. Go in front of a big surface of the water to see the results immediately.
- Grass Quality: Turn it on if possible since it adds a different feeling to the game.
- Parallax Occlusion: Turn it off.
- Tessellation: Normal or Off.
- Glare: On
- Map Resolution: High
- Self: Display
- Party Members: Display
- Other NPCs: Display
- Enemies: Display
- Shadows Quality
- Use low-detail models on shadows: Enable
- Shadow Resolution: Set it to max if your pc can handle it.
- Shadow Cascading: Set it to max if your pc can handle it.
- Shadow Softening: Set it to max if your pc can handle it.
- Texture Detail
- Texture Filtering: Anisotropic or Disabled.
- Anisotropic Filtering: Depending on your GPU, test the values if you chose Anisotropic.
- Movement Physics
- Self: Full
- Party Members: Full
- Other NPCs: Full
- Enemies: Full
- Naturally darken the edges of the screen: Disabled, there is no difference.
- Blur the graphics around an object in motion: Off
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: Off on low-end pcs. The rest of you should experiment.
- Glare: On
- It mostly affects glowing objects. There is a small performance hit, but it’s worth it.
- Water Reflection: Low or off
- Enable depth of field: Enabled
Now to get the best out of these settings and balance the quality and performance of the game, you’ll have to tweak a lot of these settings by yourself. Let me give you a few tips on how to do that.
- Head over to a city with a lot of plants and crowded.
- Start testing the settings individually while always checking your fps.
- Start from a low preset and gradually increase the quality of individual settings.
Some of the settings that affect your fps the most are the following:
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
- Parallax Occlusion
- Transparent Lighting Quality
Best FFXIV Mouse settings
- Allow resolution changes via mouse drag: Enable if you are playing on window mode or multiple monitors.
- It allows you to resize the game window by dragging your mouse.
- Limit mouse operation to game window: Disabled
- Locks your mouse inside the Final Fantasy window.
- Mouse Camera Sensitivity: Personal preference
- Expanded Mouse Functionality Settings: Choose how your game cursor looks in-game.
Best FFXIV Controller setup and settings
Get to the device/controller tab on FFXIV and let’s start.
- Enable gamepad: Enable
- Device: Choose your controller
- Gamepad Type: Choose the type of your controller.
- Keep gamepad enabled when client is inactive: Enabled
- Enable vibration: Disabled
- Enable LT+L auto-run: Enabled
- Your character will start auto-running when you press the combination of these two controller keys.
- Enable window zoom via L3: Disabled
- Enable text pasting with L1+R1: Enabled
- Analog Stick Sensitivity: Experiment a little bit by yourself.
- Enable virtual mouse: Transforms your controller into the in-game mouse pointer. You can move the cursor with the right stick.
- Gamepad Customization
- Calibration: If you feel like your controls are going crazy, or that something is wrong, you can re-calibrate your controller by pressing Begin next to Calibration.
- Button Configuration: Here you can change what each individual setting on your controller does.
Now that you have everything set up correctly, you are ready to get back to the game and start grinding again, or you can take a look at the best places to buy FFXIV Gil.
Guides to Optimize your PC
Below you can find some posts from me that will help you optimize your PC even more and possibly increase your FPS.
- Windows 11 Ultimate Optimization Guide
- Best NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Best AMD Radeon Settings
- Debloat Windows 10
- Reduce & Stabilize your Ping
- Unpark your CPU cores
- Create a custom Power plan to unlock performance
Last but not least
Go ahead and download Malwarebytes. By using my link you can get a 14-day premium trial as well as 25% off if you decide to continue using the premium version. If you want to be totally safe on the internet and can afford it, get the premium version and you’ll never have to worry again about viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc.
Install Malwarebytes and then open it. Click on Scanner -> Advanced Scanners ->Configure Scan, and select the option scan for rootkits and also, on the right side, select all your drives and click on Scan. This scan may take a lot of time, but it can save you from serious issues especially if you use your computer for transactions, work, etc.
Once the scan is completed, quarantine everything and restart your PC.
If after following this guide you still can’t optimize FFXIV or you feel like your PC is underperforming, you can book a PC Optimization appointment with me and I will be more than happy to help you out and solve all your problems and dramatically improve your pc performance.
Using a VPN?
If you absolutely need to use a VPN for whatever reason, then make sure they have a lot of servers across the world, as well as their servers, are the fastest with the lowest ping possible. If you are looking for the best gaming and general use VPN without spending too much money, then you should grab 30 days FREE subscription on NordVPN.
See How I Can Improve Your Gaming Experience
- Performance – unlock the true potential of your PC. See your FPS go through the roof!
- Input Delay / Lag / Latency – make your game super responsive to your inputs.
- Tuning – from basic Windows settings to advanced BIOS tuning.