Dota 2 has been one of the first and most popular esports titles. Millions of players with different PC setups and laptops are playing the game. The ones with high-end computers could just set everything on maximum and enjoy the game, while the rest may have to optimize their game settings to achieve acceptable and playable frame rates. While the default settings in Dota 2 provide players a good starting point, tweaking, configuring, and optimizing in-game settings and optimizing Windows settings can increase performance and FPS (frames per second) and give you an advantage over the rest of the players.
Below you will find everything you will ever need to start optimizing your Dota 2 settings, from graphics settings to increase your FPS to hotkeys and mouse sensitivity settings that Pro players use. You get the idea.
This guide is recommended for both new and veteran players.
Best Dota 2 In-game settings
I will start with the in-game settings and at the end of this guide, you will find some edits and tweaks on the launch options of Dota 2 to optimize your game further.
Best Dota 2 Graphics / Video settings
The first and one of the most important settings part is the graphics one. It will determine how our game looks and what frames per second we will be getting while playing.
Navigate to your settings and then at the VIDEO tab and follow my suggestions below.
- Use advanced settings
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 ( Or your preferred one)
- Size: Choose your monitor’s native resolution in combination with the highest Hz
- Display Mode: Exclusive Fullscreen ( Make sure it’s exclusive fullscreen since it will help you tremendously with your FPS and input lag )
Don’t change anything on the Rendering API right now, we will do it later with the launch options.
- Use advanced settings
- Animate Portrait: Enabled.
- Additive Light Pass: Enabled.
- World Lighting: Enabled.
- Ambient Occlusion: Disabled.
- Normal Maps: Disabled.
- Ambient Creatures: Disabled.
- Ambient Cloth Simulation: Disabled.
- Grass: Disabled.
- Anti-Aliasing: Disabled.
- Specular: Disabled.
- Specular and Light Blooms: Disabled.
- High-Quality Water: Disabled.
- Atmospheric Fog/Caustics: Enabled.
- High-Quality Dashboard: Disabled.
- Vsync: Disabled.
- Tree Wind: Enabled.
- Compute Shaders: Disabled.
- Texture Quality: Medium
- Effects Quality: Low
- Shadow Quality: Medium or Off if you are having really low FPS.
- Game Screen Render Quality: 100%. You can lower it to 80-90% if you have a bad time with your frames per second.
If you are really struggling with your FPS, you can set your Dota 2 graphics settings to the lowest possible and even lower slightly the resolution to gain few extra frames per second. These settings should give you the best performance possible while always keeping the graphics acceptable and everything clear in-game.
Best Dota 2 Sound/Audio Settings
Let’s move on to the sound settings of Dota 2. We will leave most of the default settings as they are.
- Master Volume: 100%
- Game Sounds: 100%
- Music: Off
- Voice: 80%
- Unit Speech: 60%
- Sound Device: Choose your preferred one ( Speakers, Headphones, Monitor )
- Speaker Configuration: Choose the type of the Sound Device
- Play Sound in Desktop: Off
- Chat Message Sound: Off
- Mute Co-Broadcasters: Off
- Use Captions: Off
- Always use default respawn music: On
- Always play default death music: On
- Autodetect Audio Latency: On
Social Tab Settings in Dota 2
In the social tab of Dota 2 you can leave everything as default. Let me give you an example how mine looks.
Best Dota 2 ( Minimap, Interface, Game, Camera, Miscellaneous) settings
- Auto Attack: Standard ( It can be beneficial to set it to Never only on a few heroes)
- Auto Select Summoned Units: Turned off.
- Double Tap Ability to Self Cast: Enabled ( Double tap a spell to cast it on yourself).
- Smart Double Tap: Enabled.
- Unified Orders with CTRL: Enabled.
- Teleport Requires Hold/Stop: Enabled.
- Channeled Abilities Require Hold/Stop: Disabled.
- Right-Click to Force Attack: Disabled.
- Quick Attack: Enabled.
- Quick Move: Enabled.
- Edge Pan: Enabled.
- Reverse Camera Grip: Disabled.
- Center Camera on Hero on Respawn: Disabled.
- Disable Camera Zoom: Disabled.
- Hold Select Hero to follow: Disabled.
- Camera Speed: 3000 to start with and you can change it according to your playstyle.
- Use Simple Colors in Minimap: Disabled.
- Hide Minimap Background: Disabled.
- Use Simple Minimap Background: Disabled.
- Use Extra Large Minimap: Enabled.
- Use Alt to show Hero icons: Enabled.
- Invert Alt Toggle: Disabled.
- Show Minimap on the Right: Disabled.
- Minimap Hero Size: 130%
- Holding ALT Highlights Hero: Enabled.
- Holding ALT Shows Neutral Spawnboxes: Enabled.
- Holding Alt Shows Tower Attack Range: Enabled.
- Show Ability Rangefinder While Casting
- Player Names
- Disable Status Text: Disabled.
- Hide Damage Numbers: Disabled.
- Unit query overrides hero control console: Enabled.
- Show Queued Orders On the HUD: Enabled.
- Colorblind Mode: Disabled.
- Differentiate Ally Healthbars: Disabled.
- Automatically choose cursor size: Enabled.
- Show Help Tips: Disabled.
Move to the Advanced Options tab .
- Summoned Unit Auto Attack
- Same as hero
- Disable Autoattack When Stop is Held: Enabled.
- Toggle Autoattack Automatically: Disabled.
- Quickcast On Key Down: Enabled.
- Shop Always Uses Hotkeys: Disabled.
- Shop Search Gets Focus on Open: Disabled.
- Smart Attack Move: Enabled.
- Auto-repeat Right Mouse: Enabled.
- Use Broadcaster Stats: Enabled.
- Bring Dota 2 to front when match found: Enabled.
- Bring Dota 2 to front for pick phase and game start: Disabled.
- Bring Dota 2 to front when unpaused: Disabled.
- Bring Dota 2 to front for Ready Checks: Disabled.
- Enabled console: Enabled.
Network Quality: Depending on your internet speed choose accordingly.
- Left-Click Activates Camera Grip: Disabled.
- Enable Screen Shake: Disabled.
- Smoothdrag Camera when Spectating: Disabled.
- Minimap Misclick Protection Time: 0.00
- Double-Tap Self Cast Timeout: 0.24
- Dynamically Scale Hero Icons in Minimap: Disabled.
- Move after Ability Target Cancelled: Enabled.
- Camera Color-shift when Dead: Disabled.
- Display Network Information: Enabled.
- Hide Tips on Loading Screens: Disabled.
- Default Tournament Spoiler Block to On: Enabled.
- Automatically Add New Items to Collection: Disabled.
- Use Mouse4/Mouse5 for dashboard forward/back: Enabled.
- Strict Solo Role Queue Matchmaking: Enabled.
- Recycle Immortal Treasures for Sideshop Gold: Disabled.
- Use Plus Assistant rather than the default guides: Disabled.
- Auto-Deliver ON by default in Turbo games: Enabled.
Best Dota 2 HotKeys / Keybinds Settings
I will just give you few suggestions on the hotkeys so you can work your way around them.
Navigate to your HOTKEYS tab make sure you are on the Basic settings tab and let’s start.
The first and most important thing is to make sure you enable Quick Cast.
Another great setting that you might not be using at the moment is Unit Specific Hotkeys. This setting basically allows you to set specific hotkeys for a specific hero.
At the end of this part i will leave few keybinds suggestions from Pro Dota 2 Players.
Now i want you to go to the advanced settings tab and change the following settings accordingly:
- Quickcast on key Down: Enabled.
- Double Tap Ability to Self Cast: Enabled.
- Smart Double Tap: Enabled.
- Show always Uses Hotkeys: Disabled.
- Left-Click Activates Camera Grip: Disabled.
- Use Legacy Keys: Disabled.
- Allow Windows / Command Key to be bound: Disabled.
- Bind keys based on keyboard position: Disabled.
- Enable Advanced Quickcast/Autocast Hotkeys: Enabled.
Rendering API in Dota 2
DX11 vs DX9 vs VULKAN vs Open GL
On newer systems and for most people playing Dota 2, Dx11 should provide you a better experience, performance, and FPS than the rest of the options. Instead, if you are running on a lower-end / old computer, you may consider testing all APIs to see which one gives you the best results (It depends on your hardware if the APIs are compatible).
You can change rendering api in Dota 2 by adding commands in your Launch / Startup Options.
To access your Launch Options follow these steps:
- Open the Steam client
- Navigate to the Library tab
- Right-click Dota 2
- Select Properties
- Navigate to the General tab
- Click Set Launch Options
Depending on which API you want add one of the following commands in your Launch Options.
- OpenGL: -gl
- DirectX 9: -dx9
- DirectX 11: -dx11
- Vulkan: -vulkan
Best Launch Options to Optimize Dota 2
Below you can find the best launch options for Dota 2 with explanations in order to optimize and gain even more performance and decrease loading times.
- Will disable the Valve intro whenever you launch the game.
- Will allow Dota 2 to run on a higher CPU priority and possibly increase your FPS and performance.
- -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd
- Use these three commands to prevent Dota 2 from changing mouse sensitivity and acceleration settings.
- -map dota
- Will load the map along loading the game when you launch it, which will reduce the waiting time when joining a game.
- Will force the game to run on DX11 API, which is the most used by most Dota 2 players. If you did test the different APIs as I told you above and it happens that a different API is giving you the best results, then instead of -dx11, add the API that gave you the best performance.
- +fps_max 0
- This can set a custom FPS cap in Dota 2. I prefer to have it uncapped, so I choose 0.
- +cl_showfps 1
- This command will show an FPS counter in the game.
The below line If you are like me then copy and paste the following line:
-novid -high -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -map dota -dx11 +fps_max 0 +cl_showfps 1
Windows 7 users can also try adding this command : -nod3d9ex ( It may increase performance in some cases )
If you want to change language in Dota 2 then add the following command: -language <code> ( Where <code> is the language) for example: -language chinese
Guides to Optimize your PC
Below you can find some posts from me that will help you optimize your PC even more and possibly increase your FPS.
- Windows 11 Ultimate Optimization Guide
- Best NVIDIA Control Panel Settings
- Best AMD Radeon Settings
- Debloat Windows 10
- Reduce & Stabilize your Ping
- Unpark your CPU cores
- Create a custom Power plan to unlock performance
Last but not least
Go ahead and download Malwarebytes. By using my link you can get a 14-day premium trial as well as 25% off if you decide to continue using the premium version. If you want to be totally safe on the internet and can afford it, get the premium version and you’ll never have to worry again about viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc.
Install Malwarebytes and then open it. Click on Scanner -> Advanced Scanners ->Configure Scan, and select the option scan for rootkits and also, on the right side, select all your drives and click on Scan. This scan may take a lot of time, but it can save you from serious issues especially if you use your computer for transactions, work, etc.
Once the scan is completed, quarantine everything and restart your PC.
If after following this guide you still can’t optimize Dota 2 or you feel like your PC is underperforming, you can book a PC Optimization appointment with me and I will be more than happy to help you out and solve all your problems and dramatically improve your pc performance.
Using a VPN?
If you absolutely need to use a VPN for whatever reason, then make sure they have a lot of servers across the world, as well as their servers, are the fastest with the lowest ping possible. If you are looking for the best gaming and general use VPN without spending too much money, then you should take a look at NordVPN and get 3 Months completely FREE!
The above settings should be enough for new players to get started and for veteran players to learn some new stuff and optimize their Dota 2 settings better. I hope this guide helped you out, and if it did, I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
If you can’t get Dota 2 to run properly on your computer after using my settings, you can either get in touch with me to optimize your PC, or maybe it’s time to look for a new PC Build to play Dota 2.